Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Straw-Blown Painted Fireworks


I asked my oldest son, “What do we celebrate on the fourth of July?”

“President’s Day?” he answered unsure.

“Uh-oh,” I thought. My son didn’t have the context behind why we celebrate Independence Day. I took some time to explain to him that on July 4, 1776, the U.S. adopted the Declaration of Independence, declaring its freedom from Great Britain.

“Oooooohhhh,” he said. I could almost hear it click.

Now I had him write down how he would celebrate Independence Day this year (apparently, we’re not just going to a parade and watching fireworks, we’re playing Wii!). When he was done writing, we got out our set of watercolor paints.


He dabbed some drops on the paper and with a drinking straw, blew air across the paint, pushing it out from the center droplet to make a fireworks shape. 

Download a PDF of the writing paper I made here.

I remember doing this little art project as a girl and how much I enjoyed it. My son liked it too.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen straw blowing art before but I never thought to use it for fireworks. Looks just like them!!! Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straw blowing art was one of my favorites as a kid too! The fireworks turned out so colorful and vibrant, I love them! I love how you added a writing promt to the activity too. My boys would have definitely added in playing the wii too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fireworks turned out great! I'm glad that you took the time to teach him the meaning behind 4th of July. Thank you for sharing at Saturday Show and Tell! I hope you'll be back this week.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete